In Your Words...

Friday, August 24, 2012

Collocations

A collocation is two or more words that often go together.

     All those hours I spent reading have really paid off. I believe no one can absolutely know, memorize or remember all collocations in the English language. But one can try to familiarize himself with as many as he can in his lifetime. One best way of doing this is to read, read and READ. Reading helped me understand words and collocations in context without me realizing it at that time. Good thing for me I started really early...kkk. And it made me enjoy learning more.

Types of Collocation
Adverb + Adjective: completely satisfied (NOT downright satisfied)
Adjective + Noun: excruciating pain (NOT excruciating joy)
Noun + Noun: a surge of anger (NOT a rush of anger)
Noun + Verb: lions roar (NOT lions shout)
Verb + Noun: commit suicide (NOT undertake suicide)
Verb + Expression With Preposition: burst into tears (NOT blow up in tears)
Verb + Adverb: wave frantically (NOT wave feverishly)
for more samples, visit:
http://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/collocations-samples.htm